Hey if you think green and gourmet do not go together there so many things green that you can do in kitchen design. Design is the key word when planning a Kitchen remodel. Green can enhance your life and help you live according to your values. Gourmet is just the good life. So, here are the top 10 tings to design a Green Gourmet kitchen. Just remember if you are passionate about the good life and gourmet living Green is the new standard. Even in the current financial turmoil spending even one cent on junk is not a frugal approach, and good design increases value in many many ways.
A green gourmet kitchen enhances you life by keeping you healthy and smiling, enjoying a great lifestyle. So here are my tips:
1. Choose the right gourmet fridge regardless of how much I love subzero and the quality of their products they have not caught up with the green trends and for that reason are not a good choice for green, I particularly love Liebherr fridges because they are such a green fridge and come in small sizes for small kitchens and half the price of subzero, made in Germany so green there is not a choice is the law so you are cover with those. other brands are doing good but I am just telling you the top greenest and this the winner
2. Now despite of the trend of induction cook tops and ranges your best bet for quality of living is still gas and the top of the list today goes for Wolf, and a New comer Bertazzoni, but is you really want to be gourmet Lacange, or Lacornue are the most gourmet, all this brands are great for the passion of food and using gas in a great way their capabilities are great. from 16000BTU to 500BTU meaning great melting chocolate and cooking hard
3. Ovens – The real revolution on the green gourmet kitchen I would say is the new Gaggenau steam oven they cook with no oil and keep everything with the highest nutrition, even the most strict eaters will enjoy the flavor
4. Cabinets – well in the northwest we have the option for local so In my priority list I will put Pacific crest a real model for Green, Sumner WA, Neils Kelly in Portland Or, and Henry Built in Seattle. How ever there are some Italian brands that are as green and as expensive they can be an option for stream line design and over all accessories,The most important is durability so transportation and a lot of other carbon foot print issues go with the long term and the beauty good quality things have. My clients thought that the prices were too much I took them to Ikea (semi Green) the durability is really and issue here so I much rather do less cabinets integrate more open shelving and why not a little antique piece to bring charm but keep the good quality as much as you can.
5. Accessories in cabinets – For a green gourmet cook the accessories are so important because they make lie easy, and I mean things and additions that you can install on your green cabinets to make them more efficient. I particularly like the Chef Pantry from Pacific Crest and the pull out options to see everything at once. Making smaller kitchens that are efficient is the best green option remember is about using less but better quality and for longer time.
6. Floor – we are talking gourmet green so easy to clean but yummy and warm at the same time you should check Ambiente 18″x18 Madala tile collection so if we thing of green ownership a tile easy to clean can help avoid harm chemicals that as so polluted so when thinking green thing also maintenance is not only material selection but how to keep them there for longer time I tried cork in kitchens and hard wood floors but if you are going to use it as for passion trust me a great looking tile is the way to go, we found great Tile in big formats like 24×24″.
7. Lighting – LED is the way to go and the rope light for the indirect lighting part of the ambiance and under mount cabinet light is the way to go. and also change bulbs for the dimmable Greenlite TM if you are using cans I love layering when it comes to light it should be the place with the most lighting options in your house because there is so much happening and the best parties are in the kitchen.
8. Counter tops – For gourmet cooks Slate scape with cradle to cradle certification from Ambiente and Novustone a great home version of the glass Counter top whee you can mix your own combinations of colors and inserts, find it at Norberry tile at the design center in Seattle
9. Scale – Did you know that one of the biggest reasons to change the kitchen is because it just does not fit your size. Maybe you are too tall, or maybe to short, if you love to cook and have to do it in a kitchen that is not your size can have lot of impact on you health specially on your back so Green is healthy you can vary the height of your counter up to 3 inches up or down and still be OK for most people.
10. Universal design – A kitchen without barriers is the best kitchen where people can flow, once again design is the key to a green gourmet kitchen. So if you are special as we all are you need special things designer for you, gourmet living is about enjoyment and good life, green is about health so let’s bundle. Baby boomers should set the trend now for what they need do not forget to add that to the list when remodeling a kitchen to be a green gourmet Kitchen.
Alicia Silva is a Green Interior designer specialized in helping people simplify their lives by applying design and making their environments work. http://www.Synergydesignstudio.com works in Seattle and Mexico City and the pacific Mexican coast doing Gourmet kitchen Spa Bathrooms and turn key furnishing in the pacific Mexican coast.