Currently there are 80,000 synthetic chemicals registered with the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and les than 20% have been tested for toxicity. Because of the lack of toxicological testing, our children and our children children’s are experimental subjects. Although the EPA has not tested all products for toxicity, many household cleaning products are listed on their website as “hazardous household waste”.
Children are highly vulnerable to chemical toxins. Their ability to metabolize, detoxify and excrete harmful chemicals differs from that of adults. In addition, children have a faster metabolism which speeds up the absorption of contaminants and toxins.
Additionally, children are always placing items in the mouth. Scientists at Rutgers University discovered that pesticides that are sprayed in the home evaporate and re-condense onto the floors, carpets, and toys. Researchers concluded that these contaminated toys and areas are likely to give young children a much higher dose of poison than adults would get in the same environment.
The National Academy of Science has recommended that infants and children be considered more vulnerable to chemicals, such as those found in household products, than adults in the absence of evidence to the contrary.
Common household cleaners and appliances give off fumes which can increase the risk of developing asthma in children. During the last 30 years, asthma has become the most chronic childhood disease today. In a study conducted by THORAX in 2004, it concluded that common household cleaners give of fumes which can increase the risk of developing asthma in children.
A study was also conducted to investigate the association between the use of chemical based products in the prenatal period and patterns of wheeze in early childhood. These findings suggest a direct correlation between the frequent use of chemical based products by pregnant women and the wheezing in young children.
Many household cleaning products and air fresheners produce unhealthy fumes. Again, the frequent use of air fresheners and cleaners produce high levels of volatile organic compounds and harmful ultra fine dust in the air.
Several all-purpose cleansers contain neurotoxins and nasal irritants that can be absorbed through the skin or inhaled. Exposure to these toxic chemicals while pregnant can disrupt the development or even cause death of the fetus. In addition, maternal exposure to these toxins can include birth defects, low birth weight, and/or behavioral deficits that may become apparent as the child ages.
For your health, healths of your family, and the health of our environment, please use caution when using common household cleaners. Additionally, dispose of empty containers as indicated on the label. Better yet, think green and buy non-toxic, and biodegradable when purchasing household cleaners.
For environmentally safe, non-toxic household cleaning supplies, visit Green Starter Kit [http://www.shaklee.net/carolbelanger/getclean/getstarted/index] as seen on Oprah!