One of the hottest movements in weddings this year has been an increase in environmentally friendly weddings. This is one wedding trend that we’re sure is here to stay! From locally-produced menus, to hemp wedding dresses, pretty much every aspect of your wedding can become eco-friendly! It is often cost effective, can be insanely chic, and is always great for the environment!
Sustainable & Stylish
It used to be that you had to be one type of bride or another: chic, or environmentally aware. The times have changed though, and now you can have the best of both worlds! You don’t need to give up your every-day values while planning your wedding – you can still host a sophisticated event while making smart choices. So how can you be sure that your wedding leaves a minimal carbon footprint? Here are a few ideas:
- Plan your wedding so the ceremony and the reception are at the same location, or very close to one another, to cut down on travel time for you and your guests.
- Serve foods and wines that are from the region in which you are celebrating – the quality will be top notch and choosing local food is always better for the environment. Make sure that any leftover food is donated to a local shelter.
- Choose local flowers, or purchase potted blooms that can be enjoyed throughout the season.
- Print your invitations on recycled paper, or have an online wedding site to cut down on unnecessary paper.
- Incorporate the three “R’s” into your wedding planning: reduce, re-use, and recycle. Instead of throwing out decorations after the wedding, sell them online or give them away. Try to avoid unnecessary decorations that are harmful to the environment-especially animals-such as streamers, confetti, rice, and balloons.
- Purchase a wedding gown and bridesmaid dresses for your bridal parties that are made of an ethically and eco-friendly produced fabric. Try to select dresses that can be worn again in the future!
- DIY: In many cases, it is better for the environment to do things on your own. From the decorations to the menu items, see what you and your bridal team can do from home.
Eco-Friendly Wedding Favors
Show your guests you care about them – and the earth! Earth-friendly wedding favors are a fabulous way to send your guests home with a little something – while showing how much you care about the world around you. Sustainable goodies such as the Natural Bamboo Eco-Friendly Coasters will blend in with any natural themed wedding and are an all-natural selection.
Eco-Friendly Wedding Honeymoons
When it’s time to sail away on your honeymoon, consider an adventure that’s not too harsh on the environment. Camping is a wonderfully romantic way to spend some time together after you’ve tied the knot, and will remind you what nature is all about. Or, consider going on an eco-adventure in a country that interests you, such as Costa Rica. “Voluntourism” is also growing in popularity – celebrate your marriage by giving back to society.
Whether you choose to have an all-out eco-friendly wedding, or just want to include certain elements, there are many options available to you. Try to incorporate your every-day practices into your wedding – you’ll be glad you did!
Kara Hall is a professional in the wedding industry. She is owner of With This Favor, a wedding favors and accessories retailer online. Kara loves offering brides creative tips and advice for their wedding at her wedding blog.